This course is only offered in English. Ce cours est offert en anglais.
Spaces are limited. Please register early to avoid disappointment.
Date: December 3, 4, & 5, 2014
Time: 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM EST.
Webinar Recording: All registrants will have access to the recording of each webinar within 24 hours of each live session.
Instructor: Dr. Javier Sanchez, DVM PhD. Associate Professor, Centre for Veterinary Epidemiologic Research. Atlantic Veterinary College.
For More Information: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Use of Meta-Analysis to Support Policy Decision Making: Concepts and Applications (3-Day Online Course)
Objective: The objectives of this webinar series are:
- To provide to the participants with a basic understanding of the meta-analysis as a synthesis research method to support policy. The course will introduce the concepts of type of models for meta-analysis, meta-analysis for different outcomes, publication bias and heterogeneity analysis.
- To provide hand-on exercises and the use of Stata for meta-analysis so participants can apply those skills for their own problems
Prior Knowledge: The participants should be familiar with concepts provided en introductory courses of epidemiology and applied statistics (e.g. observational study designs, measure of association, confidence interval, p-values, regression analysis)
- Borenstein M, Hedges LV, Higgins JPT, Rothstein HR. 2009. Introduction to Meta-Analysis. Wiley.
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. Chichester, UK: Wiley. 2008 – http://handbook.cochrane.org/
- Dohoo IR, Martin SW, Stryhn,H. Veterinary Epidemiologic Research. 2008. Charlottetown: AVC Inc. (Chapter 28)
- Egger M, Smith GD, Altman DG. 2001. Systematic Reviews in Health Care. 2 ed. London:BMJ Books.
- Sterne AC. Meta-Analysis in Stata. An updated collection from the Stata Journal. 2009. Edited by Jonathan. Stata Press.
- Sutton A, Abrams KR, Jones DR, Sheldon TA, Song F. 2004. Methods for Meta-Analysis in Medical Research. Chichester: Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics.
Recommended: Participants should be familiar with the concepts of systematic reviews and with the use of Stata. This course will focus on the use of Stata with the commands and data management related to meta-analysis.
Required: Computer, reliable internet connection, and headset or microphone and speakers or telephone.
Certificate of Completion: A certificate of completion will be issued by the Canadian Society for Epidemiology and Biostatistics upon request.
Instructor Bio: Dr. Sanchez is a worldwide recognized veterinary epidemiologist and have been working in the area of animal health and veterinary public health during the last 20 years. One of Dr. Sanchez’s areas of interest is in the area of evidence synthesis methods and meta-analysis applied to support risk assessment models. Dr. Sanchez has published several papers in this areas as a result of strong collaborations with international and national regulatory agencies that rely on the use of these methodologies to support policy. Dr. Sanchez’s current interests are in the area of risk assessment, disease modelling and antimicrobial resistance. Dr. Sanchez is originally from Argentina and lives with his lovely wife and three kids in Cornwall, PEI since 1999. Here is a picture of Dr. Sanchez with his wife, Gaby, and his younger son, Francisco, enjoying a sightseeing in Cape Breton. Dr. Sanchez loves outdoor activities and of course playing soccer!!
- Regular Member – $275 + HST
- Student Member – $125+ HST
- Regular, Non-Member – $575 + HST
- Student Non-Member – $275 + HST
- Discounts available for group registrations (5 or more).
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
To Register: Click on or copy and paste the below link into your web browser: http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/CSEB/cseb-webinar-meta-analysis-december/‘